Saturday, October 9, 2010
That’s what it feel like I’m doing right now. Erasing the things that make this home and garden me. It’s a bit sad when I let myself think about it – on the other hand I’m anxious to get on to other things and can’t wait for March when we list the house. How’s that for contradiction :)
Anyway, I thought I’d update you all on the goings on around here. One thing I did was to remove my plate border that went around the cottage garden. Apparently, young families and single men/women are who are buying homes in our neighborhood. Plates in the ground aren’t practical for either group especially the families with small children.
I haven’t decided what to use instead. I saw some metal edging that I might use since it looks like it would give a finished edge and keep the grass out of the bed.
I also disassembled my fruit garden that I made this summer. I’m hoping whoever buys this house will be happy to have the vegetable garden but I knew a second space was pushing it!
Fortunately the potted trees will be able to come with me where ever we go. I’m going to move them into the vegetable garden for the time being and put out some grass seed in this spot and hope it fills in! The trellis I’m thinking of using in my front yard but have to measure the space. Not sure what to do with the raspberries.
I realized that I’m just not going to be able to do everything myself. I had three pages of indoor projects and two pages of outdoor projects! Plus I’m sure other things will pop up. My husband is in retail so once we hit November he’s not going to be any help to me until after New Years!
So I hired someone to do some of the reno of our family room bathroom. That’s the original 1960’s vanity with a light brown sink (I painted it when we moved in 11 years ago).
He’s supposed to get started next week. I’ll do all the finish work in there. Hopefully I’ll have photos to post of my budget renovated bathroom in a few weeks!
In my last post I hinted that there was news about the family room. Well here it is.
Yep, have to take ALL the paneling off AGAIN! Can you believe it!
About two weeks after we had fixed the termite damage and put up/painted the new paneling, we noticed the far end piece beginning to get wavy. Then the piece next that and the piece next to that...all the way down the wall. We took this part off in the above photo and found mold on the backs of the panels! Apparently the cement block was weeping moisture. So we used a product called Dry Lock and filled in any noticeable cracks with some cement filler stuff, put the old panels up and then waited a very anxious three weeks.
Took them down and they seemed fine – no mold but they were too wavy to reuse so we bought some more panels. Which we tied to the top of our CRV and which promptly broke (even though we were driving super slow) and almost flew into the windshield of a car behind us! Fortunately no one was hurt. But we then had to rent a truck and go back for more panels. By now you know I needed either a drink (and I’m not a drinker) or some medication! Deep Breath.
Anyway, long story short, we have to take the remaining panels down and Dry Lock the rest of that wall and replace the panels and paint AGAIN! That’s next weeks project. Hopefully that will do it! If it doesn’t, I may just blast the wall out and tell people it’s a patio!
So all of this plus decluttering and just day to day stuff is what’s keeping me busy! I do try to make time to do some relaxing/fun stuff – so not to worry. I’m pretty good about keeping things balanced in my life.