Thursday, November 5, 2009

My Pantry Organization




I've had a few people ask to see more of my pantry. I guess the picture on the sidebar with "My Showerstall Pantry" over it is intriguing LOL! So because long time readers will know all about it I'll save it for the end and show you my broom closet first. How many broom closets do you see on blogs?~smile. I know I'm always looking for organizing ideas so hopefully you'll get some here!





Basically this closet is where I keep my broom, mops, vacuum cleaner & bags, kitchen garbage bags, paper products, foil, dish soap - that sort of thing. I use one of these over the door shoe organizers to store my foil, Cling Wrap, plastic shopping bags (we only keep the really big ones the others we recycle), dish soap, sponges...whatever will fit. These are such handy things and can be used anywhere! You can use them to organize toys, craft stuff, sewing stuff, office stuff and use them for food storage like canned goods. All kinds of things. Be sure you get the clear one so you can see what's in each pocket. This was under $10 at Target.




Do use some kind of hanging systems for your brooms and mops instead of just piling them in a corner. This keeps them organized and off the floor.




There was only one shelf in here when we moved in and so much wasted space. So we put another shelf above it so we could utilize all the space to the ceiling. My tall husband and daughter have no problem reaching that top shelf. Me, I need a step stool!




Isn't that a cute feather duster? I hardly ever use it though!




I keep all my cute in aprons here too. I always forget to put one on though!



You may have noticed that the inside of the door is yellow and the inside of the closet is a orangey yellow. I have painted the insides of all my closets and my kitchen cabinet doors (there's a picture on my sidebar). I just think it's such a happy surprise to open a door and see some color. So often we get caught up in doing things to our homes just for other people or for show and forget to do little things that maybe just we would enjoy!




Behind this curtain is my food pantry. I don't have a pantry in my kitchen. I also don't have a closet that I can devote to food storage. This is an old house on the smaller side (18-1900 sq. ft.) I really believe in having a pantry. You never know what will happen and I know so many people who have lost jobs and were able to feed their families because they had a stocked pantry. Anyway, I thought about where I could store food and decided that the showerstall of my downstairs bathroom would be perfect.




I did this bathroom 10 years ago which is why it still has the rag painting technique on the walls (remember that)! It's due for an update. We just got rid of the ugly 1960's BROWN toilet!






You can buy your jars like this but this one I made. I painted the lid and just marked off an area with tape and painted it with chalkboard paint. You can you use that stuff on anything!




I like to keep like things together. I have all my baking things together on a shelf, all my canned fruit together, all my condiments together, all the soups are together etc.





This works for us since we have two other full bathrooms upstairs. We don't need or have ever used this shower. Plus the temperature is just perfect in there for food storage. I like things to be pretty as well as functional so I added some paper on the outside of the shelves. Again, something only I and my family would see (and maybe a snoopy guest as I usually keep the curtain closed).

My point is that you need to think outside the box if your home is storage challenged like mine. Even if you have to use the space under a bed or maybe you don't need a linen closet for your linens, or maybe you have a window seat, or a trunk that you use for a coffee table that you can use for food storage. Those over the door organizers can hold canned food, pasta boxes etc. You'd be surprised at how much space is in those pockets! Here's a post I wrote a while back on the why and how of keeping a pantry Pantry Basics.



52 comments:

Barb said...

Manuela, it looks wonderful. Doesn't it give you such satisfaction to be so organized? I believe it helps to keep us peaceful.

I posted my tablescape with the Kmart rooster dishes I saw on your blog. Have a great weekend.

Barb ♥

Debra from Bungalow said...

Your shower pantry is one I will always remember. You sure thought outside the box on that one and it is the perfect solution.

I use the over the door things too. We have one inside the closet door as you come in from the garage and it is great for all kinds of things!

Stop on over to read about the Thanksgiving link up party and join in. I know you'll have a lovely table!

Cheryl (Copper's Wife) said...

Oh, a broom closet! An honest to goodness broom closet! I've never had one of those in my home. No closets anywhere near where a broom closet should go. But, Manuela, you've inspired me again! I keep my broom and dust pan in the little niche between my kitchen and master bedroom. Not attractive, but handy. I'm off now to find a more attractive way to deal with that broom and dust pan! I'll let you know what I come up with.

Annabelle said...

I'm jealous of your broom closet! Our tiny house was built in 1938 & doesn't have a pantry or a broom closet. When I lived in an apartment with 2 bathrooms, I used the main bathtub like you do. There was all kinds of stuff stored behind that curtain...decorations, luggage, etc. Have a great day! :)

GlorV1 said...

Very clever the use of those shoe plastic holders. I will definitely remember this. You are just so organized. Have a great Friday.

Ally's Corner said...

Great place for a pantry. I love my extra pantry.
So glad I changed my coat closet into a pantry.

Ally

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Wow, I definitely have a case of pantry envy. Mine is in the garage with cement floors and cobwebs. :)

I'll definitely be linking back to this post soon!

Sue said...

I use the shoe organizer in my upstairs linen closet to hold extra toothpaste, soaps, brushes/combs, shampoos, etc. When Dan went off to college, I put one over his bathroom door in his apt.He actually used it- and you know how messy college guys are!
They are just so handy- and they take up so little room. I love to be organized and get anal about having things in just the "right" spot. LOL

Anonymous said...

Manuela

That's so clever to use the shoe organizer! Even your showerstall pantry is cute with its shelves trimmed out like that!

Jane

Sandy said...

I think that is a great idea and use of space. We do need our food storage as you never know what's going to happen. I remember my grandmother had food stored all over the house as she lived during the depression years. We were glad that we had it when we had a severe tornado and none of the stores were opened. Good idea!!!

Peggy said...

How creative you are!
I also live in a tiny house and am always looking for creative ways to organize.
Peggy

Julie Harward said...

I love those over the door things they can be used in so many ways! And the storage inside the shower is a first...looks like it works great..you are so clever! :D

Anonymous said...

Well, hello there, Ms. Organization! Great tips and love how all your things are so organized and they look so good! I would have never thought of using the plastic shoe holder for this kind of organization. I guess I need to get out more.
Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

matty said...

Manuela!

Every time I visit you, I come away with another fine idea! I love love love the shoe holder multi-use! So clever! I am off to the Dollar Store for some tomorrow! Great idea! Thanks!

Fondly,

Matty

Sheila said...

I can not tell you how much better I feel now knowing that I am not CRAZY... and that someone else stores in their bathtub. I used to do this in our first home of 1266 sq. feet, I had no space and a tiny mater bath and that is exactly what I did GENIOUS I say! I hope your FRIDAY is great.

Sheila

Melissa Miller said...

~WOW! Manuela you are so creative.
I would have never thought of this. It looks wonderful and is so clean and organized. Kudos!

When we were building our home three years ago our floor plan actually had two pantries in the kitchen. Since we are a family of just two we didn't need both. I altered the floorplan a bit and added much needed counter space for our endless supply of coffee makers. It's all about what we needed and use.

Love this post! ~Melissa :)

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Aren't you smart? I would never have thought to put a pantry in a shower stall, and the shoe organizer is another stroke of genius! Can you please come organize my house? laurie

cindy said...

My house is soooo storage-challenged, and I've been frustrated again and again trying to find space for necessities. I am bookmarking this post for reference when it comes time to start re-organizing my kitchen pantry :o)

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Looks great Manuela. I bought one of those shoe organizers for the back of my pantry door too. I keep some of my spices and other things in it. Such a good idea.

I love your pantry behind the curtain. that is so great! Very clever!

XOXO
Jen

Glenda/MidSouth said...

WOW! So many storage solutions! I have run out of space here and am looking for new ways to organize/store things here - thanks for sharing.

Moore Minutes said...

The over the door shoe organizer is IDEAL! Love that tip, thank you. Also, I really like how you jazzed up your Rice jar. Enjoyed this post, thank you.

momstheword said...

You are so creative and you have a beautifully decorated home. I shall have to look around on your blog somemore and see if I can find more pictures of your home. It's lovely!

I think it would be funny if some guest was snoopy and opened up the curtain. Boy, would they be surprised!

Rhonda said...

I am fortunate to have a pantry for food and a broom pantry - I think that was one of the biggest reasons we bought this home.
But I think I need a shoe orgainzier like yours - how handy!

and you know I always like seeing your shower stall pantry - so cute and useful.

Linda said...

Manuela you have such great ideas! And you are so nice to share them all with us. You inspire me so much.

Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Anonymous said...

That's a neat idea using the door organizer like that - wouldn't have thought to use it for the pantry.

I love aprons too and I use a step stool also. Wouldn't be able to reach the top cupboards without it! Thankfully I have a tall husband too which definitely comes in handy. :)

horse loving lineman's wife said...

I love the pantry. You are SO creative!!

Camille said...

Manuela ~ Good for you! Well done on being creative with your space. I am sure many others will be motivated with your ideas.

I have the same type of shelves (pvc coated wire ones) and love them...and we have lots of those free standing units like the one you have in the shower stall! I guess great minds do think alike! ;-)

Have a wonderful day!
Blessings,
Camille

Stacey said...

Your pantry in the shower is so cute. Such a great idea too. But I must admit...if I came to your house...and just because you are so organized and the shower curtain is so cute..I probably WOULD snoop!

Anonymous said...

What a good idea Manuela, I am going to look outside the 'box' and find my own pantry space.

Gracie said...

Thanks for showing us how you organize things, it's always a good idea to use other experiences.

Rebekah said...

Inspired, as usual! :) Now I'm off to look for underused storage spaces in the house that I can stuff with canned goods...

Kim said...

I love your shower pantry! Such a great use of space...you've got to use what you've been given, right?

Thank you for sharing both your pantry & broom closet ideas. I'm always looking for ways to better organize my space.

Larry said...

Can we ever be too organized?

Richella Parham said...

You really do "think outside the box." Other people talk about that: you really DO it! And you think about the inside of the new box, too! I love the way you are both left-brained and right-brained. You are an inspiration.

Jennifer said...

Oh to be organized right now! With my dining room and laundry room under construction, cabinets being ripped out of my kitchen to make room for a new stove, organization is not something that can be found in our house! You have done a fabulous job getting your pantry put together. I love the shoe bag for you foil and ziploc bags and the like. Such a great idea!

Have a fabulous weekend!
Jennifer

Sharon said...

Thanks so much for sharing Manuela :) I have limited space and am really considering using our spare bath for a pantry. Under the beds are filled> I think I need to do some rearranging :)

Have a great weekend and thanks for the inspiration!

Sharon

Nadine said...

Wonderful suggestions! I like the chalkboard paint on the jars so you can change the names on them - very creative!

Blessings!
~Nadine

My Cozy Cubby said...

I need to tackle my pantry. I actually like organizing! I'll have to give chalkboard paint a try sometime!

Pamela

Unknown said...

Those are great ideas. I'm always looking for pantry space. I use one of those shoe holders on my clothes closet door for slippers, gloves and assorted things that will fit. It works great. Linda

Simple Home said...

Talk about thinking outside the box! These are great ideas. Your creativity continues to amaze me. I couldn't give up a shower though, we only have two, and there are 8 of us here :-) The plastic hanger thingy is wonderful. You're incredibly organized!
Blessings,
Marcia

Unknown said...

Very inspirational! I need to go re-look at my 12 inch by 12 inch apartment pantry, ha.

Simply Heart And Home said...

What a wonderful idea! You are so organized! I love that floral curtain that covers your pantry. If you don't mind me asking, where did you find it?

Gina

Jennifer C. Valerie said...

That is so creative!

Alyson and Ford said...

You are so organized! Since we are selling our house to down size to a retirement home, I will love using your ideas. Thanks!

Alyzabeth's Mommy for One Year!

Kathleen Grace said...

Ahh yes, I have been thinking I need to clean out my pantry and get it organized before the holidays....not sure when, but I need to!

Oliva Ohlson said...

Great organizing ideas, and really like the idea of putting unused space to work!!!

Felicia said...

Brilliant. Love the shower stall pantry. I store my plastic grocery bags in an old tissue box. They're easy to dispense that way.

http://fluffyflowers.typepad.com/fluffy_flowers/2009/03/storing-plastic-grocery-sacks-an-easy-fast-and-free-tutorial.html

Julie said...

You just made my day with this post! My mother is horrified that I use the shower stall in my master bath for storage. The stall is too small to actually use. You can't even bend over and wash the important bits. That and the fact that it started leaking was when I decided to repurpose it. So now it has ugly plastic tubs in it. Thanks for sharing your pantry. Sometimes thinking outside of the box is really the only way to go.

Carla said...

How smart!!! Love the idea of claiming wasted space:) Looks pretty too:)

Anonymous said...

I love the tub storage! We live in an 1100 square food home with four people. It seemed that we would not have a lot of storage, but it's amazing the places you find to put things. We live in Phoenix so there is really no need for a coat closet, but it makes a great pantry. I use LOTS of baskets, they are decorative and useful too. And our broken shower... that houses the large animal cage we have and the cat litter pan! And since I have nowhere else to put the cage or litter... I am very happy with my broken shower! :)

Alissa said...

Did you just use contact paper for the decoration on your shower storage? I have the same shelves and am looking for a way to make them fun. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I congratulate, what excellent answer.