Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Decorating Bookcases



I love using wallpaper! Just not on walls. I like using it to back my bookcases and china cabinets. To me, everything in a cabinet looks better with a background of paint, fabric or paper. It's a touch of the unexpected that adds so much to a home!




That's my basket of wallpaper above. Actually, it also includes gift wrap because I also use that to line my bookcases and china cabinets. I'm lucky in that I have a wallpaper store about 10 minutes from me and they have a whole backroom where they sell wallpaper for ridiculous prices. $1 for a roll that's been opened (like the sample roles) and $2-5 dollars for the rest of the wallpapers. These are papers they've discontinued or only have single rolls left. Perfect for lining drawers, craft and decorating projects! I know some people like to use scrapbook paper to line their cabinets. There's a greater variety in design with gift wrap and wallpaper that appeals to me. But use whatever speaks to you!




I had a black and white houndstooth (boy is that hard to photograph!) gift wrap on the backs of my bookcases this summer. I bought it at Hobby Lobby last Christmas at 90% off! It was part of their Christmas giftwrap! I've already scoped out gift wrap I'm going to buy this year. The non-traditional Christmas wrap is always the last to go so you can get it very inexpensively and use it for projects.




Under the paper is beadboard which I painted the same color as my walls.




I decided to use this striped paper horizontally for now. I might change it for Christmas. I just measure the back and cut to size, adhere with double sided tape and that's it! Couldn't be easier!




Now I have to dust each book before I put it back (did you know you're suppose to do that once a year). It's also a good time to look through my books and decide which to keep and which to donate to the library or sell.


Next time I'll show you how I put it all back together otherwise this would be a really long post!


Check out Andrea's window treatment! She did one similar to mine and it came out really cute! Her blog is Big Creek Cottage



23 comments:

Momto5 RachelJoy Photography said...

so glad you posted this!! ive been looking for a way to make my bookshelves more pleasant

GlorV1 said...

Great Idea. I have an old china cabinet that I am now thinking of doing that. Gee you and Kelli give me so many ideas. I just need to get to it. I stopped by Adrea's and seen her window treatment, very nice. Thx for sharing Manuela. Have a great day tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I love this idea. Too cute! I found a lot of extra wallpaper at my parents house and used it to line my cabinets and drawers in my kitchen. It's working out great.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Your bookcases have turned out great. I love the stripes being horizontal. It was because of you that I lined the backs of my two buffets with fabric! You always have such great ideas.
Hugs,
Penny

Suzann said...

I love the idea of using wallpaper and gift wrap in unexpected places and ways. I look at wallpaper in a whole new way now. Your bookcase looks adorable.

Lady Katherine said...

What a great idea, now if hubby will build my bookcases! lol I could do this!

Blogger said...

Very pretty, love the colors you chose :)

Bella

AJ said...

Love the stripes:)

Rhonda said...

I love all your decorating how-tos.

They give me something to sort of copy! Hope you don't mind, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, or so they say.....

and drawers and shelves with pretty lining are so much nicer than plain ones.

Nancy Rosalina said...

I love this idea with the wallpaper and the wrapping paper! It's a good thing as Martha would say...LOL

Ms. Tee said...

Oh, very, very cute! I love the wrapping paper idea! Your living room is so bright and cheery. :)

dixymiss said...

Great ideas! I love how you can ineXpensively change the look with the seasons ~ or on a whim! ThanX for the inspiration.

Sue said...

Hi Manuela...I love wallpaper. In the new pics of the house I just posted, the old oak icebox is lined inside with red/white and blue paper....we did it about 30 years ago...

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

I love that idea and have used it myself!

Kathleen Grace said...

ne of those projects that I keep meaning to do and just can't decide what color/pattern to use so it doesn't get done. Will you come over and help me decide:>)?

duchess said...

Great idea & so much easier than painting (for those of us who like to change our minds often).:)

Cyndi said...

Really love the horizontal stripe on the book case! cant wait to see the finished product

Deb said...

This is a great idea! I've thought of doing adding paper to the cabinets in my kitchen that have glass fronts. I also want to say that I love what you did with your cabinet in your dining room. And the way you sewed on the covering without removing the light fixture. They are all great ideas to share. I hope you're doing great I really enjoyed my visit. Deb

Paula said...

Dear Manuela,

I love this idea! Your bookcase looks beautiful!

Blessings,
Paula

Simply Heart And Home said...

What a wonderful idea. Your bookcase is beautiful!

Gina

Anonymous said...

Your shelves have always looked so good with the papers behind them. It definitely adds a touch of fun to your decor. I love that you change it out for the seasons.

Last year at Target I found so much wrapping paper marked down to .25/roll. Since it was nontraditional it has served so many wonderful uses since we moved. I don't think I bought one roll of shelf paper for the kitchen or bathrooms.
Have a great Wednesday,
Jen

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I'm having bookshelves built in (new bdrm for boy #1...)I'm going to take your advice and do this!

ROXY said...

I love the idea of lining a bookcase with wallpaper. I am dying to remove some of my kitchen cabinet doors and just do open shelving with wallpaper lined backing. You are so inspirational!!