Friday, January 2, 2009

My IKEA Trip Today


All I can say is Whew!! It was so busy at IKEA today! I really thought nobody would be there today and boy was I wrong. I bought a pine bookcase that has a pull out bin on the bottom to organize some of my craft stuff. My husband thought I'd like the pine especially "because you can paint it" wink wink wink! He likes to tease me about painting stuff since I paint so many things! Of course it has to be put together so I'll take a picture when that's done. There were so many neat storage and work surfaces I would have loved to have bought! But I'm just going to use the table I already have and my sewing table I got at Goodwill.


I couple of people said they don't have an IKEA so I took my camera and took a few pictures.



I was going to get that unit above but it wasn't in stock and I didn't want to have wait for them to get some in. The glass in the upper part is optional you can just have open cubes



Those shelves have a lip - I'm thinking about getting a few.



These were some decorative bowls that they put on the wall that I thought looked very pretty.





For all you fans of pink - they have a light pink couch!



I think this would look great in my bedroom with all the black toile I have in there. Plus it's scale is small so it's good for a small space.



This one would be good too!



Some dining chairs. Very pretty but I personally thought they were kind of low.



I loved this bench! I really like the way benches look with dining tables but I wonder how comfortable it would to be seated right next to someone. Could you get three people next to each other on a bench like this and be comfortable?



This I just thought was kind of odd. They had these round pieces of cowhide & some other faux animal hides that they just placed on chairs like cushions. Only they have no cushioning so I guess it's just for looks!



They really have some of the best kitchen storage ideas I've seen anywhere!



How neat would it be to have fresh herbs growing under your cabinets!




They have a really interesting lighting department, especially if you like a more modern look. I thought this light fixture was interesting because it looked like icicle lights wrapped around a circular frame (of course I thought "I can make that!).







A cute petite chandelier!


It was a fun couple of hours which we topped off by having lunch in their restaurant. I bought a couple of things that I'll show in another post since this one is so long! I would have bought some fabric had I been able to find an employee anywhere in the store to cut it for me! They were sorely understaffed today. Maybe next time! Have a great weekend everyone!

38 comments:

Kathleen Grace said...

Ikea is fun, we got one a couple years ago and we went to check it out. It's probably time to go take another look:>)

Terri Steffes said...

I don't have an Ikea within a 100 miles but when I go to the city, you can be sure I am going to go find one!

julie & joe said...

My parents have a deacon's bench with their dinning room table and we usually put three of us on it. Not too bad you just can't get up and down like you do from a chair.

I've never been to an Ikea. I did see a news special about a guy who was living in one for some sort of experiment.

GlorV1 said...

Manuela that is a really great store. I don't think we have one or I'd be there. I'll check to see where there is one around these places, if there is one. I just checked and the closest one is in Palo Alto, a good 1 1/2 hours drive. Soooooo, I won't be shopping there. Maybe they have mail order, I'll check on that. Thx for sharing and take care. Have a great weekend.

Glenda said...

Ikea is a great store. They have so many ideas and things you can afford. It's always busy around where I live.

Happy New Year

Free Art Printables said...

We have an Ikea and I love it.. great supplies for stuff and the kids love the meatballs!

Salmagundi said...

Thanks for the tour! We don't have an Ikea in Colorado, but I've heard about all of their storage solutions and their reasonable prices. I'm anxiously awaiting to see what you purchased. Sally

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

I love IKEA too! We got a new IKEA here last May and it's one of my most favorite places to visit. I re-did my office with IKEA cabinets and I love it. I also got a huge wardrobe and put it in my room because I don't have much closet space.

It looks like you had a fun trip!

Ally's Corner said...

My husband bought me a light at IKEA for Christmas but it didn't work. He will be going to IKEA in the morning to return it.
I'm staying home crafting for my daughter's birthday party.

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Thank you for taking us with you on your Ikea adventure Manuela!! I loved every photo! It's been a while since I've visited one...I think it's time to go take a peek at more of their kitchen organizational goodies!!
Warmly,
Traceyxo

Lady Katherine said...

Oh! What fun,we get to go shopping! I checked out the cow hide. The glass cabinet reminds me of a lawyers cabinet. I need one for all hubbys arrow heads. Guess I'll have take a road trip to find an Ikea, but I'd probably stop at Cracker Barrell and be lost among the dishes. lol

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Okay big city girl! You are going places I've never been. And I have to say...it all looks very modern to me! But I did like the pink couch and the black checked chair :)

Sarah Kate said...

Great timing, I was just thinking I need to go again. We are going to have to do something with our empty dining room. I'm thinking game/puzzle/library room. I like the bench too, but something without arms might be more versatile if your are worried about too many bottoms :)

Shilo said...

So fun that you got to make an IKEA run! It's such an adventure, isn't it?

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

We went yesterday (New Year's Day) and encountered droves of people. But, Ikea is always fun, refreshing, and inspiring for me.

Darlene said...

I don't have an Ikea anywhere around but I would LOVE to find one to browse in. They look really NEAT! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Sue said...

Hi Manuela....I love the IKEA!! but you really made it look good with your pictures...I was just at the one up in Jersey..we got tons of stuff to outfit the babies new play area...They have wonderful kids stuff for cheap. we also had fun eating ourselves silly with the 50 cent hot dogs (yes, they are all beef) where else can 3 adults and a child eat for under 5 bucks....

Suzann said...

I haven't been to IKEA in ages!!! But, now I want to go this weekend (of course I wouldn't dare enter IKEA on a weekend - it's chaos there)

As for the bench...
we have some with our dining table and although I love the look of them and I love to lounge on them with my coffee, not so good with company or the general day to day.

Tami said...

I love IKEA and now after seeing all the pics you took-I have to go. It's been awhile and there is some organizing that should be done around here.

Angie said...

Can't wait to see what you bought! LOVE that black and white checked chair and chandelier!

Simply Me Art said...

Ikea is Fun, i agree, You can find lots of Great Goodies and Wonderful Ideas too..

Rue said...

Hi Manuela :)

There's an Ikea where we're moving, so I'm thrilled! Very cute things, but I agree about the weird chair cushion thing LOL

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Happy New Year to you too and I hope you are very blessed this year :)

xoxo,
rue

oliveoyl64 said...

Make sure you check out the "as is" center. My sis buys all kinds of stuff that might need a little TLC at reduced prices.

Anonymous said...

What a fun trip! IKEA is amazing to me. One opened up about 45 minutes or so away from us a couple of years ago. I can remember the first time we browsed through thinking how HUGE it was. A few months later, when we returned to buy book cases, one of the employees told us that our store is one of the smallest in the U.S. I can't imagine what big IKEA looks like!

Oh! My dining table has a bench (no back or sides). Three adults can sit there for a meal, but we try to arrange it so that children sit there when we can.

AJ said...

Oh how I love IKEA!! I haven't been in so long though. You can get so many ideas from the little room displays they have set up!
Happy New Year!

Kelli said...

Ooh....we love IKEA! Lots of fun things to look at. Happy New Year!
~Kelli

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

I'm glad I finally got into Ikea last summer (and did a post on it too), to see what the hype is all about. It's definitely the Disney World of home furnishings store & their storage pieces are great. I found a few things in there I could have lived with, but didn't buy anything. Glad you had fun!

Dena said...

I haven't been to Ikea in forever but I'm loving that black and white checked chair!!! I need to get over there!

Hugs,
Dena

Anonymous said...

I've never been to an IKEA store. Thank you for taking us along Manuela!

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

I've ordered online from IKEA but I've never been in a store. I loved the chandelier and the little checked chair. I've got to look at their website.

Thanks for the pictures Manuela.

Gretchen

Susie Q said...

IKEA is such fun to visit! We have that chandy you have pictired! Got it for Grace's room re-do and just hung it last week.

They do have wonderful storage ideas.

Happy New Year to you and your dear family! May 2009 bring you much joy!

Love,
Sue

Tamara Jansen said...

I LOVE Ikea! I went there for my Chrismas decor this year!

Vee said...

Ahhh, so that's what it's all about. The kitchen organization tools would give me the most problems where my purse is concerned. Thanks for the IKEA tour!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

I want to go there SO BAD! The closest we have is about two hours away and we are planning a trip out there in the next few months.

Suzanne said...

Thanks for the shopping tour! I haven't been to an IKEA since we moved from WA! They have so many wonderful things.

American Homemaker said...

I love Ikea. I have one within minutes of me :)

Anita said...

Thanks for takimg me through IKEA. The closest one is in Chicago and I've only been there once. I love their organization ideas and I love the container store too....

Anita

Gail said...

I love Ikea, wish we had one here. They have so many great items. Thanks for sharing.