Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Thrift Store Style


Happy Earth Day everyone! I wanted to show you what I did with the things I got at the thrift store last week which you can see in this post Cheap Thrills. Actually when I look around my home, I see so many things that have been thrifted!

I showed in that post where I hung one of the black transferware plates. The other one I'm using in another project that I'll show on Friday.


The decanters. I bought them knowing I wanted to put them in the dining room for a while because the light hits that buffet at around 5:30 and it's just so pretty. I knew the glass would look lovely there with the sun shining through them at dinner time AND that they would be useful in other capacities when I want to change the look. Thank you for all your wonderful suggestions on how to re-use them!



Here are a few more pictures with more light. I monogrammed one of the decanters with a rub on letter.





As you can see, they're sitting on that little mirrored tray that cleaned up so beautifully!




That little crystal piece is a thrifted find which is filled with some pretty sparkly napkin rings that I got from Target a few years ago. Two Christmases ago - they were after Christmas clearance items. I've never used them as napkin rings!




This apothecary jar (Not from the thrift store) is filled with various sparkly Christmas garland and some sparkly candle rings.


The Rover plate. I hung it in my foyer which is where all our dog paintings and other dog plates are.The picture above it I found at the thrift store sometime last year.



The two pillows. The red toile one I put on my couch and I absolutely love it! I usually gravitate toward red toile on a light background but I really love this reversal of color. I wish I could find another one!




The black toile pillow I put in my kitchen window seat which I think has enough pillows now LOL!! The little green and toile pillow some of you may remember as a thrift store find that I added the toile & buttons to.



The pear. Well....the pear didn't work out quite like I had wanted it to. I had forgotten that this shelf is actually quite shallow so the pear is too big for it. It hangs over!



I took a little white daisy tureen from my black china cabinet and put it on the shelf instead. It's a thrift store item also! Do you like the new toile on the message boards? I took the monkey toile down and I like this one better - from a $5 roll of toile wallpaper.



Right now the pear is sitting on top of some books in a bookshelf until I can think of something else to do with it! All in all, everything else is where I wanted it to be.

I still have to get to some of you that emailed me gardening questions - so don't think I've forgotten you and I know somebody asked me about mixing toiles. I don't know what the "decorating rules" say about that but I'll do post in the future about what works for me.

Have a good week everyone and thanks for stopping by!




32 comments:

june@craftyniche said...

Your thrift finds turned out so nice! I love how you used them in your decorating. I found some pretty toile fabric for my kitchen chairs that I'm excited about!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I love what you did with everything. I really like the toile on the message board. You have given me some ideas - I just need to give my home a good cleaning, put up the Easter decor. (had a wedding to deal with), and get busy.
Glenda

Stacey said...

Everything you found is great. You found perfect spots for them. Now about that pear...find a good place for him too. He's cute!

Salmagundi said...

I really like the crystal decanters. I'm sure there will be lots of uses for those. The one that I have I always fill with water and set it by one of our frequent dinner guests. He drinks a lot of water with dinner, and it keeps me from having to keep filling his glass. Great post. Sally

Victoria said...

I love all your thrift store finds, but even more than that I think I just like your style!

Love the wall paint behind the toile message board. So pretty!

Thanks for the info on cilantro. I did start some from seeds and will be smarter about where I put it!!! I had no idea.

Erin said...

like that you put bits/pieces of sparklies in one of the decanters...lovely

and, i like that you monogrammed one as well :)

Denise said...

Everything looks perfect in their new locations! I love the toile pillows, especially the ones on the window seat! Something I've always wanted.

XXDenise

Ally's Corner said...

Love the monogrammed decanter.
I plan on thrift shopping after school lets out and work slows down. Where is the best place to buy lettuce for the garden can I get it around here and do I need seeds or can I get them as a small plant.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Everything looks lovely in your home Manuela! I love mixing toile and you do a wonderful job with it!
Hugs,
Penny

Adrienne said...

I love what you did with every single one of your thrifting finds. You did a great job putting things together in just the right place! Thanks for sharing with us. Can't wait to see more. ~Adrienne~

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

I love the new finds and how you've used them Manuela!

Unknown said...

Maneula,

The glass decanters sitting on the mirror reminded me of something a friend told me last week. She said she placed a thrift store mirror on the ground in between her daylillies and placed one of her husbands duck decoys on top of it, allowing the leaves to drape over the mirrors edge. She said it looked like water and was a favorite with the children. I would try that, but I'm afraid my dogs would step on it and break it.;D

Susie Q said...

You always do something so nicely with your new treaures! I never fail to be inspired by all you
do in your lovely home!

Love,
Sue

Linda's Blue Gate said...

It is so funny about your decanters.... I had just bought 3 that I didn't know what I was going to do with they are just so pretty..... love the 'W" on yours..... you home is just perfect.... I love that pear...... and the message board is just wonderful... you are such a busy girl......
HUgs
Linda

Unknown said...

Everything looks beautiful! I love the way you mixed everything.

Susie Homemaker said...

I am on the hunt for some pretty pink and white toile to use on shades for my new chandy...You have inspired me my dear!

Blessings,
Susie

Charla @ For the Sake of Time said...

All of your "thrifties" turned into "treasures". You have done a wonderful job recycling. Thank you so much for the ideas.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Everything looks so pretty. I've got to get some of those "rub ons". That looks great! laurie

Free Art Printables said...

very cool! love those letters! ;)

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Manuela - you are the thrifty Queen! Your home is so lovely! I love everything. And that decanter looks awesome with the monogram.

XOXO
Jen

Unknown said...

You Have a great eye for decorating and being creative! I LOVE YOUR BLOG!

Terri Steffes said...

Your creativity is a wonderful gift. Thank you for sharing it with me (and of course, others) to help inspire me to do more with what I have!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Everything looks so pretty, Manuela! I love your toile with that wonderful green wall color! All of your sparkles are so attractive! Love that pear! I'm sure you'll find a perfect place for it!...Debbie

Little Penpen said...

Everything is so pretty. I LOVE your doggie them foyer. I have a small foyer and have never been able to decide what to do in there. Our life seems to revolve around dogs, so there you go! I will start looking for dog art! Thanks for the inspiration!

Vee said...

Everything looks wonderful. You can create an entire world right there in your home!

Christy said...

I love the transfer monogram you added to the carafe! So creative and makes it look soooo rich!

Karen said...

Manuella. As always - GREAT JOB! Love the BLING!
I have to tell you, I was at an estate sale last week, and sitting right there on the top of a bookcase was our set of Little House books. But they were "well loved". Someone had probably read them, and read them and read them again! I thought of you with a smile!
Loved this post! HAGD!

Laura said...

Yea! Sparkle sparkle sparkle-
my favorite thing.

laura

morninglorycottage said...

Hi Manuela,
So good to finally get a few free moments to catch up with you. You've been a very busy girl!!! Good for you. I think I want to come to your Goodwill. I've never liked our Goodwills here because their prices are ridiculous. We do have a few other thrift stores I frequent though. Take care and thanks for all the gardening advice you've been posting.

Christina said...

Oh my! I'm in love with all of it. I love your green walls too.

Thanks for your comment to Victoria about cilantro. That is an herb that we would use all the time, but I had given up on it. I'll tell my daughter (my little planter) to find the shadiest part of our yard and we will try it again.

Tommie Jo said...

Such pretty things! I just love finding treasures at thrift shops & yard sales~
You're welcome to stop by & enter my GIVEAWAY. The more the merrier!

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye. With best regards, ogasuco. This is a full base